Access for Everyone! - Year 1
Human Dev Index:#114 (Aus #5)
The Sasak people of Lombok are among the poorest people groups in Indonesia. Our partner works with them to improve access to basic life necessities through multiple community-based projects, including water projects, educational programs and engaging people with disabilities. The mobility team helps underprivileged people living with disabilities. 200 new families and 350 existing families are expected to receive education/follow-up education in caring for loved ones with disabilities. Free therapeutic aids such as wheelchairs, crutches etc and physiotherapy equipment will be provided as required.
Why support this
Our partner has been operating since 2013, successfully implementing similar types of projects. This project has a strong emphasis on providing on-the-job training for local specialists to deepen their understanding and transfer knowledge so that the work can become sustainable. Local partners also help navigate the cultural challenges associated with community development work in rural village settings. The project relies heavily on the communities themselves taking part and working alongside our partners to give them a sense of accomplishment and empowerment, something which is vital to the local ownership of the projects.
$20,000 for year 1 of a 3 yr project. Total budget $63,000.
- Visit and assist people living with a disability
- Capacity building and training for team members
- Regular disability therapeutic sessions
- Provide education for families with a disability
Expected Life Change
- Families will have the resources and training to care for loved ones with disabilities
- Those with disabilities will enjoy a better quality of life as their families are more able to give them the love and care they need
- Better health/nutrition brings greater productivity in other areas of life