From Escape to Empowerment
Human Dev Index:#114 (Aus #5)
This project will support the running costs of a safe house for young women coming out of trafficking situations and domestic violence. A 6-12 month rehabilitation program is provided, including health checks, counselling and skills development. The program works holistically and intensively to not only rescue women from trafficking and prostitution, but also provide healing and set them on the path to a new life. Another branch of the project is to strengthen community cohesiveness through peacemaker training programs, as well as business development and leadership training and mentoring for the women leaving the safe house and others in the community.
Why support this
Our partners are local Indonesians who have seen the need and responded. They know the culture well and know how to work within families, an important part of Balinese culture. We appreciate that the program is tailored for each woman. If at the end of six months she is still requiring support, she can continue to stay at the safe house for another six months. We also like the way our partners work to address the wider community issues that lead to increased vulnerability in women, through their peacemaking, leadership mentoring and social enterprise efforts.
$33,230 for a 1yr project
- Safehouse - recovery and restoration
- Peacemaker training for 150 people
- Vocational skills training for women
- Business development and leadership training
Expected Life Change
- Young women are restored out of trafficking and prostitution and are given the means to earn an income with dignity
- Families are reunited and restored
- The community is empowered financially through business training and group support
- A growing movement leading to a peace-loving generation that is caring and tolerant of others