Keep Kids Safe - Year 1
Human Dev Index:#146 (Aus #5)
This project focusses on our partners' outreach to vulnerable and exploited children in the red-light district and slum areas of Phnom Penh where gangs, drugs, extreme poverty and abuse are prevalent. Our partners have established 65 kids clubs to reach children who were at risk of sexual exploitation in these areas or have been abused. In seeking to bring restoration to their lives, traditional therapy methods have not always brought long-term success due to social and built- environment factors that hinder the process. Entrust will help fund a new, innovative Creative Adventure Play (CAP) therapy program into the existing curriculum, working with abused/trafficked street children and the local community to prevent further abuse and exploitation.
Why support this
Our implementing partner is in this for the long term – they take time to build trusted relationships with the children, who can then tell them what has happened to them. They work to restore children to wholeness but also to bring the perpetrator to justice. They work closely with the government of Cambodia and have had great success. They are taking the time to find the roots of the problem and to create lasting solutions.
$32,000 for year 2 of a 3yr project. Total budget $96,000
- Training staff in CAP therapy skills
- Continue creative arts program for 65 kids clubs
- Acquire resources for adventure therapy program
- Introduce play therapy to the program
Expected Life Change
- Children will be taught how to avoid sex-traffickers and paedophiles.
- Some children are rescued from situations of trafficking.
- Many children will be given a safe space to play and explore their creative side with safe adults to trust.
- Children will gain experiences of new environments that 'trigger' positive emotional responses that lead to healing.