Keeping Families Together - Chiang Rai - Year 2
Human Dev Index:#66 (Aus #5)
This project is located in the far north-east of Thailand in rural villages and towns near Chiang Rai. The project provides HIV/AIDS and drug awareness education programs in Thai rural schools, prisons and communities together with simple income-generating projects to support families from the school who are afflicted by disease, and other poor families. By educating and supporting affected families with health education and income-generating projects such as chickens and pigs, it allows children to be kept in school, in a family and in a community.
Why support this
Our partners have worked in this area for over 25 years and have a proven track record in the community. Relationships have been built and consolidated over a long time. Our partners are well networked with local Thai government departments and other NGOs (non-government organisations) in the area. Memorandums of Understanding are in place with local detention and rehabilitation centres, schools and other community groups. Income-generating projects give families a way to stay together and to support themselves and send children to school.
$17,500 for year 2 of a 2yr project. Total budget $35,000.
- 6 education programs in prisons per yer
- 6 youth detention education programs
- 20 education programs in schools per year
- 13 income- generation projects annually
Expected Life Change
- Economic empowerment of the family in a community setting allows children to grow up in a more stable environment, to have better nutrition and to attend school
- Simple income-generating projects encourage families to become productive members of their own community
- Education on HIV/AIDS/drug awareness empowers children to protect themselves from predatory harm and behaviours