Cause:Water & Sanitation
Human Dev Index:#114 (Aus #5)
Our partners in Bali have been helping poor villages access clean water and health care for over ten years. Some villages have no ready access to clean water, relying only on unhealthy rice field run-off that disappears in the dry season. Other villages may have water available but no system for sharing it evenly among families. This project will partner with five villages in Bali where distance and finance are the biggest barriers to accessing clean water. Training in how to maintain the infrastructure is also a component of the project so that it will be viable for years to come.
Why support this
Our partners are working with villagers who are keen to improve their current situation. The strong local buy-in gives the projects much greater sustainability. Careful planning goes in to developing solutions for each unique situation, instead of attempting to roll out a 'one-size- fits-all' approach. By training locals, the means are there for maintenance and sustainability long after our partners are gone. In addition, community members will supply the labour for the projects and some of the building materials - there is a real desire here to invest in their future!
$51,000 for a 1 yr project.
- Building 45 water source storage facilities
- Training in construction & maintenance
- Piping water to homes of 165 families
- Increased fish farming, livestock & crop variety
Expected Life Change
- Improved health through access to clean water, hygiene education and availability of vegetables
- Economic growth through raising animals and fish and a variety of crops to sell improves earning capacity and schooling opportunities
- Increased confidence in the communities' ability to solve problems and be agents of change