Building our Future Together
Human Dev Index:#129 (Aus #5)
This project focuses on the rural poor of Bangladesh who are particularly disadvantaged. The aim is to strengthen the 72 Self Help Groups (SHGs) formed and establish them under the oversight of Village Development Foundations (VDFs), which will be registered with local authorities. This will help deliver a sound capital base to invest in small business and income generating activities. VDFs will be trained in leadership, management, communication, advocacy and financial capacity to empower them as agents of social change, to initiate business and build capacity of SHGs, including fostering their access to government resources and disability support services. The 1300+ SHG members will meet weekly to receive training in economic development, agriculture, food security, gender and justice issues. The project also aims to organise children/youth into clubs promoting health, sport, recreation, leadership and education in child rights and protection.
Why support this
This project is helping poor and marginalised families sustainably overcome poverty. Our partners are committed to building trust and confidence, disability inclusion, trying new things and learning from others, creating stronger people-to-people links and ensuring transparency, accountability and good governance at all levels.
$31,000 for a 1yr project.
- Capacity building of 72 SHGs (46 female, 26 male)
- Child protection & rights via educational social clubs
- Formation (3) & capacity building (11) of VDFs
- Linkage & advocacy for children & PWD
Expected Life Change
- Long-term wellbeing and a model of transformation driven by change from within, especially in terms of gender balanced participatory leadership and inclusion of people with disabilities (PWD).
- Self-help Group members engage in economic activities, improved food security, social awareness and skill development.
- Children and youth aware of their rights and united in raising a collective voice to advocate for their wellbeing and protection.