Human Dev Index:#166 (Aus #5)
Entrust has supported the establishment of a coffee cooperative since 2016-7 amongst the very poor and remote villages of Mt Elgon, in eastern Uganda. Building on the success of six seasons of coffee planting, production and export, we are continuing to support expansion of infrastructure to build capacity and providing intensive training for the 2000+ vulnerable coffee farmers and their families. Our partners will invest in stumping, pruning and intercropping training, more coffee and shade trees, tools and organic fertiliser training, with the aim of increasing farmers' coffee yields and quality and improving productivity and land cultivation practices.
Why support this
Our partners have worked in community development in this area for over a decade and are empowering farmers to move from a hand-out model to an empowerment mindset. The benefit to the local community is huge with farmers receiving a good wage for their coffee beans and a bonus during the "hungry season". The coffee project has great momentum and continues to consolidate and expand. Sales of world- class coffee around the world (UK, USA, Australia, South Korea) and in Uganda are growing. With 10,000 people benefitting, it shows that empowerment of local people is priceless!
$75,000 for a 1 yr project
- Stumping and pruning training to increase yields
- Provide tools, shade and coffee trees to farmers
- Site upgrades to increase capacity at Wanale station
- New processing station at a key site in Muyanda
Expected Life Change
- Farmers gain new skills and a strong support network
- A good yield and fair price improve the financial situation of farmers, allowing them to buy more food during the “hungry season”
- Income means children are sent to school, living conditions improve and access to health care means healthier families
- The local community learn it is possible to operate business in a fair and transparent manner and still be profitable