Community Development Education - Myanmar
Human Dev Index:#149 (Aus #5)
This project will release 20 paid field workers into 20 of the poorest communities in Myanmar over the next three years to facilitate best - practice participatory, community- driven, sustainable development. Development outcomes will include a broad range of health education, livelihood and grass-roots community programs.
Why support this
Our partner’s approach empowers the poorest of Myanmar by being highly participatory and community-driven, with the goal of developing a long-term sustainable community-based organisation that can continue to work for the long-term good of each community. This project is largely about stimulating hope, rebuilding social capital, tackling divisions and marginalisation, developing inclusive planning and decision-making processes. The significant distinction and key to the effectiveness of this program is that decisions about the needs, priorities and order in which these issues are tackled rest with the community. They will address issues such as health, hygiene, education, water and sanitation, business and community empowerment.
- Myanmar is one of the 25 poorest nations on earth.
- It is a place where the poor suffer from extensive marginalisation and powerlessness, having been continually unsettled by internal conflicts and a military-run government.
- Thankfully, major changes are starting to take place within the country and this project is timely, as it will help bring about long-term change, and give the poor some hope that things can get better!
- As the Government continues to open and a more equitable society is developed, this project will play a key role in facilitating people to learn that it is possible to help themselves and have a voice in their society.
Expected Life Change
- Each village has a community hub that carries the on-going work of community development.
- Communities are utilising their own assets and developing networks to source further resources from elsewhere.
- Significant improvement in health, hygiene, sanitation, housing, business, agriculture & community inter-dependence.