Creating Strong Communities - Year 1
Human Dev Index:#140 (Aust #5)
This project aims to identify and confront core issues that create socio-economic poverty and reduce risks of trafficking and unsafe migration. There is a general sense of despair and hopelessness due to poverty, seasonal food and water insecurity, illiteracy and low awareness of the risks of leaving family. Economic opportunities are limited, there is a lack of vocational skills & experience and it is a culture that often excludes, women and youth from family and community decisions and activities.
Why support this
Through empowered and enabled youth and women, seed projects and various awareness raising and empowerment workshops, our implementing partners are creating economic and social opportunities within these communities where people feel safe and secure.Ownership of the development process enhances the educational achievements of school students and improving literacy and life-skills among illiterate teenagers and adults. An integrated development program like this aims to enhance food security and economic viability for the poorest families and improve the health status of the community. There is high participation of the community in social advocacy, constant links to government and private service providers and strong community-based leadership.
$40,800 per year for a three-year project.
- Poverty in Laos is gradually declining but the country’s rapid economic growth has not benefitted all equally.
- Those in geographically disadvantaged areas have seen an increase in poverty and large disparities in skills-based job opportunities.
- For example, in Champasak, our partners will be working with vulnerable communities with a high risk of unsafe migration.
- They will focus on activities preventing trafficking, economic empowerment and water education.
Expected Life Change
- Villages support each other in driving the community development, sharing technology, sourcing services and market links.
- Water is contained and reserved to support the needs of the village during the dry season.
- Promotion of intentional nutrition and hygiene programs for children and pregnant mothers.
No report uploaded