Cultivating Great Coffee! - Year 1
Human Dev Index:#166 (Aus #5)
Entrust has supported the establishment of a coffee cooperative since 2016-7 amongst the very poor and remote villages of Mt Elgon, in eastern Uganda. Building on the success of seven seasons of coffee planting, production and export, we are continuing to build capacity through infrastructure and provide intensive training for 2000+ vulnerable coffee farmers and their families together with 150+ casual workers. Training will help increase farmers' coffee yields and quality and improve productivity and land cultivation practices. Further site development and infrastructure will help scale the business. The coffee project is a fabulous platform for community development!
Why support this
Our partners have worked in community development in this area for over a decade and are empowering farmers to move from a hand-out model to an empowerment mindset. The benefit to the local community is huge with farmers receiving a good wage for their coffee beans and a bonus during the "hungry season". The coffee project has great momentum and continues to consolidate and expand. Sales of world- class coffee around the world (including Australia!) and in Uganda are growing. With 10,000+ people benefitting, it shows that empowerment of local people is priceless!
$78,000 for a year 1 of a 2yr project. Total budget $156,200.
- Intensive training for 2000+ farmers and families
- Expansion to the remote Bududa area
- Site upgrades to Wanale processing centre
- Further development of the Muyanda site
Expected Life Change
- Farmers gain new skills and a strong support network
- A good yield and fair price improve the financial situation of farmers, allowing them to buy more food during the “hungry season”
- Income means children are sent to school, living conditions improve and access to health care means healthier families
- The local community learn it is possible to operate business in a fair and transparent manner and still be profitable