Education for Outcasts
Human Dev Index:#132 (Aus #5)
This is a new three-year project funding an established government-accredited primary school in a snake charmers’ community. Before this project started, children in this community do not attend school and their families were desperate to provide them with an education. The school is an English language school which opens up future opportunities for the students. This project will enable the school to accommodate a larger number of students, more teachers and erect a slab and permanent tent for vocational training.
Why support this
The men in this community are the real drivers behind this project. They sourced the land for the school and the community leader was determined to ensure that all children attended class.and that women are given vocational training. We love the passion of these men to improve the lives of their families. We appreciate our partners thoroughness in planning from the beginning to register the school with the government, and to achieve financial sustainability.
The total budget over the next three years is $38,000, with the first year’s budget being $14,000. This will provide for rent for the school building, teacher salaries, school uniforms and materials for an increased number of students. This year’s budget will also cover the cost of a slab and permanent tent.
- Snake charmers are members of the dalits, the untouchables, and live an extremely poor life.
- Now that snake charming is illegal, their main source of income has been shut off, further increasing their poverty.
- The children from the community are not welcome at other schools, nor can they afford the fees, so they spend their days just wandering around on the street.
- Without an education they have no chance to break the chains of inter-generational poverty.
Expected Life Change
- Education for children, opening up career paths and pathways out of poverty
- Self-respect for the community, who have worked hard to get a school for their children and vocational training education started for adults
- Improved health, as the school will also offer health and hygiene education