Embracing My Future
Human Dev Index:#166 (Aus #5)
High quality, professional and holistic vocational training courses in tailoring, fashion and design, and hair and beauty, will provide 40 Ugandan marginalised youth (20 in each) with practical market-ready skills and techniques to commence their own business or obtain meaningful employment. The course will also teach business and entrepreneurship training in order for businesses to thrive. The courses are designed to a high standard to give graduates multiple competitive edges. Students are supported through graduation to finding jobs or setting up a business with a small loan - very little capital is needed to start a thriving business either from home or as a mobile business. Each participant contributes a small amount to the program to ensure they have some "skin in the game".
Why support this
This project follows on from four successful vocational training projects with our grassroots partner. We appreciate their hearts for disadvantaged youth and the strategic development to grow social enterprises to support their work. Students are supported through a nurturing and business-focused environment. There are very high levels of unemployment for youth in Uganda, where 80% of the population is under 25 (source: www.unfpa.org).
$35,800 for a 1yr project.
- 20 students to participate in the hair and beauty course
- Start-up loans of for each student available
- 20 students to receive tailoring and business training
- Supporting trainers and supply of materials
Expected Life Change
- Income-generating skills will provide a sustainable income for participants to help support themselves and their families
- Young people will feel empowered to live fruitful, successful lives less vulnerable to crime and the damaging effects of unemployment
- Graduates will grow in self-esteem, confidence and gain dignity and have a chance to give back to the community