Emergency Food Appeal - Myanmar
Human Dev Index:#149 (Aus #5)
We recently received an urgent plea from our long-term Burmese partner who has just returned from a visit to Rakhine state in the West of Myanmar – near the Bangladesh border. He was dismayed at what he discovered. People are starving! Our partner has asked if our Aussie friends could help feed extremely poor and hungry men, women and children who do not have enough money to buy simple meals for their families. One year ago, a large sack of rice cost $20. Today the same bag of rice costs $80. People simply cannot afford to buy basic food items.
Why support this
Our local partner lives and works with a team of volunteers who can purchase food such as rice, oil, garlic, onions, salt and fish paste and it will be delivered to needy families enabling them to cook nutritious and sustaining meals. It will immediately help 135 families in need. Averaging 5 people per family, that’s 675 people who will receive enough food for around 5 weeks for $27.40 per person. Entrust only undertakes emergency appeals when we have a long-term relationship with the local people delivering the support. We guarantee 100% of your money will get to those that need it most.
$104,000 for a 6-month project
- Purchasing and packaging food locally
- Delivering food to 135 local families
- Assessing water access and needs in the community
- Providing physical and mental health support as required
Expected Life Change
- Urgent needs met - people have food to eat to see them through the crisis
- Local people are encouraged to know that others care
- New people are connected to our partners, strengthened and feel supported and empowered to get on the road to recovery