Get Me to School
Human Dev Index:#146 (Aus #5)
Our partners work in the slums of Phnom Penh with families and children not yet in school. They identify children who want to learn and follow these children through their full circle of education, which for some is to University and beyond. This project is part of our partner’s Education Program and supports activity centres that are run with the express purpose of providing tuition and catch-up classes in Khmer and basic Mathematics as well as providing time and space for children to do their homework and participate in other classes such as English, Computer, Art, Music & Sport.
Why support this
This program is more than just supporting 330 poor children to start school. Our partners are excited about the young adults they have invested in who are now finding their calling in life and growing in leadership. Significant time goes into identifying kids from difficult backgrounds (slum living, street children, exploited or abandoned children) and facilitating them into education, fostering a love for it and inspiring them to see a future beyond their wildest dreams. The Full Circle Education project is the first step in seeing slum children become leaders.
$29,000 for year 2 of a 3yr project. Total budget $85,000.
- Providing quality after school teaching
- Providing basic computer and English literacy
- Run a leadership program for teenage kids
- Operate a sports program at the centres
Expected Life Change
- Young children are given the opportunity to learn and are supported in their education to become leaders and serve their communities.
- Children coming through the system will be mentored by older, developing leaders who have gone before them. These young adults will mentor and walk alongside the slum child who is struggling to stay motivated and keep going to school.
- Students complete government school and enter University study.