Himalayan Village School Yr 1
Human Dev Index:#132 (Aus #5)
Tehri Garwhal is situated in Northern India, high up in the Himalayas. It is an extremely remote area, with poor infrastructure. School opportunities are limited. Most schools are far away and the poverty of the local families means that many children do not receive an education. Our partners have established a school for a growing number of children who would otherwise not receive education.The school started in 2014 with 4 students and currently has 58 students from pre-nursery to fifth class. Next school year they hope to have 75 students and the school is planning to reach Grade Six as students progress through the years.
Why support this
This school meets a very real need in the community. The children here are young and cannot travel the distance to the closest government school. Which is poorly funded and understaffed. If they don’t start school at the right time, they never attend. By growing a school in their midst, the children can start school at the right age and have the potential to break the cycle of poverty.
$11,000. The cost of the project works out to be approximately $16 a month per student.
- Many people in the area surrounding the school are illiterate farmers doing their best to make ends meet.
- With small incomes, they cannot afford to send their children to distant schools.
- Often, they also need their children to work on the farm.
- A local school enables children to get an education and still help at home.
- By providing the children with an education, our partner is giving them a chance to break out of the poverty cycle.
Expected Life Change
- Students and teachers feel empowered and feel a sense of self-worth through education.
- Education with a high level of literacy gives children the opportunity to gain a better career and break out of the poverty trap.
- In the longer term there will be a reduction in maternal and neo-natal mortality as a mother'seducation level is proven to reduce maternal and child death risks.
No report uploaded