Pre-school Centres For Slum Children - Year 7
Human Dev Index:#149 (Aus #5)
By offering pre-school education (with snacks, or for those who can’t afford it, a meal), our partners educate, care for and show love to children in two impoverished areas of Yangon. Our partners then also work with the students’ families. This is our seventh year of supporting this work. Each child is given a a school uniform, books, a satchel and pencils. Providing education also gives parents an opportunity to work through the day and take better care of their families. Children are taught important health and hygiene information which they then pass on to their families.
Why support this
This is a holistic program, with our partner reaching out to families, not just the children, and assisting them where possible. Within the pre-schools, the children receive a quality education and the vital preparation to be able to attend school. Without these pre-schools these children would not get into school!
The budget provides for two pre-school centres including uniforms for the children as well as food for those who cannot afford it. A small amount of money also provides for medical emergency care for the children and their families.
- Children are raised in a perpetual cycle of poverty and are therefore at high risk of abuse, trafficking or prostitution.
- They are not able to go straight from a slum lifestyle to a school environment, and thus many never attend school, reducing their opportunities to break out of the poverty trap.
Expected Life Change
- Improved health and hygiene of entire families.
- Improved nutrition with flow on, life-long health benefits.
- Ability to access ongoing education.