Preschool Centres for Vulnerable Children - Year 12
Human Dev Index:#149 (Aus #5)
By offering pre-school education, our partners educate and care for up to 100 children in a very impoverished area in a slum area of Yangon. Our partners also interact with 150 former pre- school families to continue to work with the child and families over an extended time. Providing education allows parents the opportunity to work through the day and take better care of their families. Children are also taught important health and hygiene information which they pass on to their families.
Why support this
Children are raised in a perpetual cycle of poverty and are therefore at high risk of abuse, trafficking or prostitution. They are unable to go straight from a slum lifestyle to a school environment. This means many never attend school, reducing their opportunities to break out of the poverty trap. Following on from our recently finished 3-year cycle with our partners, we have extended the project by 9 months to the end of March 2023. This is to help the pre-school get back on its feet after COVID-19 disruptions and because of the military coup still in progress (since 1/2/21). There are currently 60 pupils due to the current circumstances. This project is a holistic program, with our partner reaching out to families, not just the children, and assisting them where possible. Within the pre-schools, the children receive a quality education and the vital preparation needed to attend the government school. Without the pre-schools these children would not get into school.
$7,000 for a 9 month project.
- Part-support the Director and 2 pre-school teachers
- Provide some educational materials for up to 60 students
- Support the annual Christmas event
Expected Life Change
- Entry to the government school system after “graduating” from pre-school
- Improved health and hygiene of entire families
- Ability to access ongoing education
- Better socialization skills by participating in a structured program
- Feeling of support and encouragement during an extremely difficult time – COVID-19 and coup