Restore Hope, Build a Future - Year 3
Human Dev Index:#140 (Aust #5)
Our partner exists to assist the poor, disadvantaged and broken people of Laos, with particular emphasis on those addicted to drugs. Three facilities currently operate in the surrounds of the capital Vientiane, one of which is a newly opened Women and Children’s Centre set up to provide a nurturing environment for both women and children. This project supports women addicted to drugs through rehabilitation and vocational training. Our component of the project is to continue to provide local Lao staff salaries and operating costs for the next 3 years while encouraging the centre to gradually become more sustainable.
Why support this
This project is in response to a survey of women living and working in the area. They recognized the need for rehabilitation and restoration and strongly endorsed the opening of a women’s centre where women can find healing and empowerment, no longer pressured to meet their basic needs through subservient means, and where children can learn and grow into healthy, able adults. The staff are entirely local and many have experienced rehabilitation themselves so understand the challenges and are highly committed to the cause.
$23,000 for year 3 of a 3yr project. Total budget $60,000.
- Rehabilitation and restoration for 20 female addicts
- Provide a loving & nurturing place for 10 dependent kids
- Vocational training for 20 women in sewing and baking
- Sustainability projects - quails & gardening
Expected Life Change
- Young women, restored from drug addiction and mental health conditions, have renewed hope for their future, ready to enter the workforce with newly acquired life and relational skills
- Women are better equipped through vocational training to provide and care for their children
- No longer neglected, children get to grow up with a healthy mother in a safe and loving environment and are able to attend school