School on the Mat- Telangana, India - Year 1
Human Dev Index:#132 (Aus #5)
This second 3-year project builds on an initial 3-year project of educating neglected children, labourers and ‘dropouts’ in 10 villages in the Gadwal district. All family members work or beg during the day for survival and are now able to access their schooling from 6-9pm to improve their education, literacy and social standing in the community. The rural villages where our partners work are extremely remote with poor infrastructure, sanitation and economic status.
Why support this
Our partners have been working in these villages for 8 years, building trust and relationships with the very poor and neglected families. They work in co-operation with the local leaders and elders and find teaching staff within the communities where possible. Our partners are encouraging the children and adults to become agents of change in their local communities through education. Learning together informally promotes equality and provides the opportunity for both boys and girls to pursue their dreams of higher education and improved social and economic status for their families.
$27,400 for year 1 of a 3yr project. Total budget $82,200.
- Access to education for 200 students
- Strengthen community-based leadership
- Evening classes for adults
- Reduce forced child-marriages for girls
Expected Life Change
- Night school brings educational transformation to both children and adults. Learning to read and write empowers individuals and their community.
- Education gives people an opportunity to break out of the poverty trap and secure a job.
- Access to education helps abolish the lower caste system where people have been oppressed for generations.