Standing Up for Trafficked Women Yr 2
Human Dev Index:#129 (Aus #5)
This three-year project is developing and expanding a rehabilitation and skills training program for at-risk women escaping from or living in communities with high rates of human trafficking. It is enabling them to successfully integrate in society with real opportunities for employment. A similar program was successful in the past but the curriculum has been revamped with up-to-date trauma informed practises and counselling techniques as well as vocational and life skills to equip the participants. These women, from a range of different backgrounds, including orphans and widows, those living in extreme poverty or homelessness, are at high risk of being exploited and need a great deal of support to be able to build new lives.
Why support this
Our partners provide support and training for women who are street based sex workers, are at risk of being trafficked or are survivors of sexual trafficking. They liaise with government schools, medical facilities and service providers as required. Their vision is to see women and their children who have been victims of exploitation and/or are living in street situations develop holistically, help each other and return to society.
$30,000 for Year 2 of a 3yr project. Total budget $90,000.
- Develop & expand a replicable training program
- Intensive training for managers and trainers
- Provide trauma- informed rehabilitation
- Vocational training for 60-90 women per year
Expected Life Change
- The women will get to know and understand themselves better, gaining self-confidence and independence
- Have an opportunity for dignified employment and being able to support themselves
- Receive an education and gain vocational skills
- Experience emotional healing in a caring environment that supports their wellbeing