Water for Life - Year 2
Cause:Water & Sanitation
Human Dev Index:#66 (Aus #5)
Our partners work among the ethnic minority hill tribes of Thailand near the borders of Laos and Myanmar, where cultivation of the opium poppy and drug abuse has contributed to families living in poverty for generations. This project seeks to improve the health of villagers through the provision of clean water sources and hygiene training in 6 villages over 3 years (2 per year). The project also aims to increase family income through awareness building, community participation and obtaining better agricultural yields together with environmentally sound practices for all activities.
Why support this
Through empowerment, raising the standard of living and building awareness of a changing society, we can encourage the long-term integration of the tribal groups into economic and social mainstreams so that families can become permanently settled and economically stable. In addition, our partners will follow-up for three years after completion of the project. If other needs are identified, such as schools, health clinics, micro-loans and coffee production, our partners will help facilitate this process. Villagers will have buy-in by providing labour and sharing in the expense of materials and supplies.
$35,000 for year 2 of a 3yr project. Total budget $105,000.
- Water & sanitation facilities for 6 villages (in 3 yrs)
- Training in maintenance and hygiene
- Establish family gardens & 1 fish pond per village
- Training in agriculture & aquaculture
Expected Life Change
- Having energy/time for daily chores and earning more income by accessing a nearby tap instead of walking long distances
- Security - knowing the water source will be around for decades
- Village Water Committees will engender a sense of purpose, collaboration and empowerment to meet their own needs
- Better health and more time with family improves the overall well- being of individuals, families and communities