Enhancing Learning in Laos - Year 1
Human Dev Index:#140 (Aust #5)
This project provides children, youth and adults access to inclusive quality education as they engage in formal and non-formal learning to gain knowledge and skills that are useful in their lives. In particular, it aims to improve the quality of education through training teachers and closely following up with the teachers and students in the village schools where our partners work.
Why support this
Ethnic minority people in the northern provinces of Laos have the lowest levels of education, overall health, nutrition and income while having some of the highest rates of drug addiction and poverty. Our partners focus on improvement in quality of life for these poor, remote communities by engaging them and local government partners in addressing obstacles to and opportunities for development, particularly in the areas of education, health, environment and livelihoods. Ownership of the development process enhances the educational achievements of the school students and improves literacy and life- skills. There is high participation of the community and strong community-based leadership.
$28,200 Year 1 of a 2yr project. Total budget of $56,400.
- Train 10 district staff and 37 teachers
- Develop games, activities and materials
- 709 students receive quality education
- Monitoring visits to increase accountability
Expected Life Change
- Locally relevant and interesting teaching materials will promote learning in the classroom and students will be more engaged.
- Both student and teacher attendance will improve and an increased number of children will progress to high school.
- Learning to read and write expands learning, access to information and participation in broader society